LIST OF LOCAL GROUPS
In the last three months we have seen a huge increase in local communities coming together, responding positively to the refugee crisis. This has led to them starting up local groups in aid to support them. The majority of the groups are collecting clothes, nappies, blankets and food, in order to donate them locally. However, the groups have come across a few barriers to whom and where to dispatch their items, so are asking local charities such as our self’s if we have the capacity to be able to distribute them to our clients.
The mission statement of these groups appear to be the governments not doing enough, therefore we, as, society will.
- Refugee Solidarity -Devon and Cornwall
Facebook discussion/information group, trying to centralise info on groups/activities
- Refugee Kindness Exeter
Was collecting goods for Kos, (collection currently finished) – has not decided on the next projects yet
- Refugee Support Devon Ltd – Exeter based
- Calais Refugee Solidarity Lyme Regis/Sidmouth/Ottery/Exeter
Information sharing/gathering site. Says in the description it is collecting goods but no details of a specific collection point or current collection
- Exeter City Of Sanctuary
- Newton Crisis Aid
- North Devon Sanctuary for Refugees – Barnstaple, Bideford, Merton, Okehampton, Chagford, Westward Ho!, Ilfracombe, Lynton, Abbotsham, Bickington, Bude
Set up to coordinate groups in the area, information sharing, gathering collections (no details of any current collections in place)
- Totnes and Exeter Calais refugee Solidarity
Did the Friends meeting house clothes collection – no current collections, (there will be discussion soon re focus of the group in the next few days) presently information/gathering/sharing
- Ashburton Support for Calais Refugees
Active group starting to have meetings and organise events, facebook page information gathering/sharing site, lobbying
- Dartmouth Devon Humanitarian Aid – The Road To Calais
Closed facebook group description says it was trying to coordinate a convoy to Calais 23th/24th Oct
- Refugee Family Support – Paington
Current Crowd funding link for someone self funding trip to Kos, information sharing/gathering
- Paington Calais Refugee Solidarity & Relief; South Devon People’s Assembly
Information sharing/gathering site. Was set up to support some October trips out to Calais
- Calais Refugee Solidarity – Torbay
Actively Collecting (Blankets at the moment) for trips out to Calais (Dec and Jan) – different collections discussed, information sharing/ gathering
- Torbay Kos Kindness - Torbay
Actively collecting until 30th Nov – extensive list on page with details how to donate locally
- Plymouth Open Hearts Open Borders
Fundraising, collecting for refugees various links
Contact: Faraday Fearnside. Tel: 07912294122
- Beyond Boarder Totnes (BBT)
Is a non-profit community project, based in Totnes, that brings local people and asylum seekers under the umbrella of well-being to establish a cultural dialogue and to help refugees and asylum seekers to build emotional resilience, overcome social isolation. They collaboratively work alongside other organisations, such as, British Red Cross and our self’s. They arrange UK workshops with events that show reality of situations and challenges particular groups will face on arrival.In contrast to those groups who are particular raising awareness of conditions across the boarder. They are raising and collecting items to ship across boarders for when refugee/ asylum seekers arrives. These include blankets, food, camping equipment and so on. These groups are facing particular barriers when it comes to shipment and its cost. Therefore, have been contacting local organisation with either help towards the costs of shipment or enquiring if small organisations have the capacity to distribute collections to our clients.
- Ottery Refugee Support Group
After becoming aware of the Syrian Refuge crisis Mel felt compelled to call a meeting in her local community of Ottery St Mary s. She has already taken out 20kilos of donations.Identify local landlords who would be willing to rent out their properties to house refugees. The list is given to East Devon District Council (EDDC) who would have the responsibility to house people if they were to be dispersed into East Devon. This would indicate to the Local Authority that housing is available in our local area. Lobbying the government to say that we want them to increase their current quota of 20,000. This would be via a letter to our local MP Hugo Squires.
- By donating money
- By volunteering to go out to Calais to support.
- By Lobbying local, District and County Councils.
- By producing a template for a letter that people could use to lobby their M. P to increase the current quota.
- To publicize the various organizations and ways that people can help and support and how they might to do this.
Contact: Melanie Argent firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plymouth #RefugeesWelcome Network
Closed facebook group page – no description details
- People to People Solidarity
Have a warehouse -. Collecting any clothes, tents, bedding, toiletries and food
Address – The Old Auction house, canal Rd Taunton TA11PN
Opening Hours – Mon/Wed 10-3pm, Tues11-3pm, Fri 9.30-2.30pm Sat 10-5pm
- St Ives Personal Drop off Point
- Helston UK Action for Refegees
- West Penwith St Just
- Wadebridge Cornish Collections – Wadebridge, Newquay, Torpoint, Tintagel, Truro, St Columb Major, Redruth, Falmouth, Camborne, Helson, Penzance, St Ives, Helson, Padstow, Illogan, St Austell, Bude (Amanda)
- Bodmin Aid to Calais from Cornwall
- iNeed – Monmouth
OTHER USEFUL GROUPS
- Mutual Support For Calais Volunteers
- Refugee Crisis
Uniting Volunteers, travel buddies and funders
Aid Containers for Greece and Europe